Metropolitan Opera House Philadelphia | Turtle & Hughes

METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE PHILADELPHIA

A RETURN TO GLORY

After years of neglect, the historic Metropolitan Opera House in Philadelphia has been restored to its former glory and is once again welcoming guests as a first-class concert venue. Now known as the Met Philadelphia, it was first built in 1908. When it first opened its doors, it was the largest theater of its kind in the world with seats for 4,000 people. Over its storied history, it has been used as an opera house, ballroom, movie theater, sports venue and church, and its superb acoustics once served as a recording studio for the Philadelphia Orchestra.

METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE PHILADELPHIA

As part of a two-year restoration project, the 100,000-square foot-theater received electrical upgrades, including new switchgear from the Turtle & Hughes local Philadelphia office. Partnering with General Electric/ABB, Turtle & Hughes delivered switchgear materials and a main substation to feed the downstream equipment that powers the historic venue. This included three stand-alone switchboards, 52 panelboards, 14 safety switches, and ten transformers that were all connected with over 30,000 feet of conduit and cable.

With a new robust power system in place, the theater operates to the latest standards for sustainability and energy management and has once again earned the affection of the residents of Philadelphia.


BACK TO SUCCESS STORIES

SERVICES

  •  PROJECT MANAGEMENT
  •  SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT
  •  VALUE ENGINEERING
  •  TECHNICAL SUPPORT
  •  START UP & TESTING SUPERVISION
  •  TRAINING
  •  O&M MANUAL PREPARATION
  •  SHORT CIRCUIT/COORDINATION STUDIES
  •  SCADA SYSTEMS